What I love most about my job is the spontaneous nature. One day I’m sitting at my desk from 8am to 5pm and others I’m attending events and meetings, shooting campaigns, styling products, decorating, etc. So when my most asked question remains, “what is a day in your life like”, my answer changes on the regular. But at times I crave consistency, so I try to maintain a few steps of a routine each day to keep me sane.
My schedule is busy and days are often hectic with strict deadlines. For things to be accomplished properly, I have learned that it’s best for everyone if I’m recharged and at my best. This seems like common sense I know, but it’s something I ignored for a long time. For me, being at my best means having as much work/life balance as possible. This is a constant struggle of mine, but I’ve noticed if I include the following 5 aspects in my day, I’m a lot closer to balance and happiness.
1. Boomerang for Gmail. This program has changed my life! For someone who has a crazy schedule and may have downtime at random times, scheduling my emails makes my life so much easier. My Father-In-Law introduced me and I’ve been hooked ever since. You simply install the program, write an email and next to ‘send’ there will be an option to ‘send now’, schedule for later, or ‘boomerang’ remind yourself to follow up in however many days/weeks if no reply. Game. Changer. I can get work emails done from 8-10pm that will not send until the next morning at 6am.
2. Prioritizing. I hate the feeling of too many things to do and not enough time. Time management is so important when you work for yourself. When I make my to do list at the beginning of the day, I highlight the hardest and most important ‘must-do’s. I try to conquer the hardest tasks first, so even if I don’t finish everything, I still feel accomplished at the end of the day. And how cute is my new desk from Joss & Main?
3. Waking up earlier. AND going to bed earlier. I am so proud of myself for breaking the habit of staying up into all hours of the night. Over the past year I have worked on becoming more of a morning person (read more about in this post). It’s definitely easier to do now that I have my new navy bed from Joss & Main! I need time to myself when the world can’t bother me – AKA early in the AM before I start my day or late at night, but it’s better in my lifestyle to spend that time in the morning. In order to switch things around I had to change my sleeping habits. Turn off that TV before bed, too (hardest thing ever)! I’m still working towards being a peach in the AM, but I have learned the amount of sleep I need to function properly and wake up earlier.
4. Taking time to completely zone out, unwind and laugh. This typically comes in the form of Vanderpump Rules or any Real Housewives franchise (I love them ALL). I have to physically put my phone and computer down sometimes, but I’m always so glad when I do. I laugh hysterically and occasionally sip on a glass of rose to truly feel like a Vanderpump. Life IS all diamonds and rose – IDK what you’re talking about.
5. Exercising. If I don’t exercise (which I’ve slacked on lately) I don’t feel like myself. I just feel better when I work out. Whether it’s a long walk or a hardcore spin class, being active gets me out and in a much better mindset. I need an outlet to manage stress and this definitely helps me.
What helps you keep work/life balance? I would love to know how you cope!
Home Update// I am loving my bed via Joss & Main! New bedding is coming and I cannot wait to change things up! Oh and the nightstands also rock my world. They are from Shop Candelabra – more on that process soon 🙂 // As you saw last week, my office is a work in progress but I have a cool plan for it! The Joss & Main desk is definitely fitting in the equation and I’m excited to start working on the gallery wall + other aspects.