Stress is one of the most common issues we face today and I definitely have my bouts. When I start to stress, if I don’t handle properly it can turn into more stress and potentially (when it’s really bad) a panic attack. Over the past 5 years or so I’ve learned how to manage things much better, so I thought I would share 5 ways I calm down when I feel stress coming on.
1. Regular Exercise It’s crazy to look back over the past year — 7-8 months of which I did not work out regularly — and watch the difference exercise has on my stress level. During the time period I was not working out consistently I noticed several adverse effects of stress (that I’ve never seen before in myself) and since getting back into the gym, I have noticed a 100% difference. My life + job is always going to be stressful, so it is important for me to get it all out through exercise. Chandler and I have both made a commitment to get our butts back in shape! I have become addicted to spin. 🙂
2. Take a 15-30 minute green tea + book/magazine break. Sometimes you just need to stop and take a second. I love to make a tea and sit in our kitchen nook and read a book or magazine. I’ll set a timer on my phone (trying to manage my time better, too!) and I give myself a little break to do something that makes me happy.
3. Clean something. Okay, I know this sounds ridiculous. Cleaning isn’t exactly high up on my list of favorite hobbies but when I’m stressed or anxious, it helps me take my mind off while blowing off a little steam. Try cleaning next time you are really stressed and see how much it helps – productive stress relief!
4. Grab a headset, hook up to your phone, turn on your favorite jams and dance around your house for 2 songs. Again, I know it sounds ridiculous, but music is proven to lift the mood and dancing (even if it’s so, so bad) is great for stress relief.
5. Throw on a sheet face mask and lay down for 15 minutes. Close your eyes and meditate. Soothing music etc. optional.
How do you manage stress?
PS: I have to say this is currently my favorite pair of jeans! I would highly recommend snagging a pair.
photos by Jordan Zobrist