Our desks are sacred (and sometimes messy) places we create, use our brains, and get sucked into the Pinterest 2 hour hole. Whether we like it or not, many of us are at a desk for the majority of the day. Why not make it something to actually want to look at? It's pretty easy, too.
Making your desk desirable is definitely easier than you think. No matter how bad you might think your desk is, there are ways to spruce it up. Here are a few of my favorite ways:
1. Get some flowers. Just do it. I don't know anyone (other than people allergic) who hates to have fresh flowers in front of them. It just makes you happy. No cute vases? Don't worry! Remember, I always say to use whatever you want as a vase. Now I'm no florist, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional coffee cup vase. Just sayin'.
2. Get Organized! Getting your you-know-what together will do wonders for not only the look of your desk, but also the efficiency you have at it. Based on your career and amount of stuff needed on a daily basis, assess your storage options. Unfortunately, I don't have much here. Instead, I have two filing cabinets and drawers that I keep in my bedroom (where my desk used to be). I have a file for every job I do. Each file has a receipt envelope so I can properly track everything. I'm looking into getting this done on the computer, but until then I have my little system. I don't use my fancy Kate Spade file folders (thanks Mom!) for everything, but I'll use them occasionally to mix things up. Aren't they so cute?
3. Find quirky accents. Everyone constantly asks me where I got my peace sign. It was a gift from my mom years ago when I had a major peace sign phase. I still love it! I've seen many other fun figurines and accents at Homegoods and online stores like Waiting on Martha and Furbish Studio (two of my favorites!)
4. Get a Desk Calendar. Of some sort! I use my actual desk calendar, Google Calendar, and Whitney English Day Designer. I know it's a lot, but I like to see my calendar different ways. Call me crazy.
I'm nuts over Whitney English's Day Designer, too. I know I've said it before and I'll say it again! The girl is a genius. I got mine for Christmas and I have been obsessed ever since.
Kate Spade File Folders // Whitney English Day Designer // Acrylic Tape Dispenser // Kate Spade 'Dear Me' Notepad // Target candle // Geometric Notebook
5. Bring art or a mirror (if you can). If your office is at home or flexible, bring up a few framed prints to lean against the wall or put up. I love Art.com for this. I also love Lulu & Georgia for prints! I found this mirror at Homegoods a while back. I've heard the same can be found at Home Depot!
I hope you make your work space a place you love! xo